Vitamin B6(also known as Pyridoxine hydrochloride) is involved in most bodily functions.It affects both mental and physical health.This vitamin is required for the production of hydrochloric acid(digestion) and aids in the body's absorption of fats and protein.Additionally,it balances sodium and potassium levels and promotes the formation of red blood cells.Further,vitamin B6 works to prevent arterioselerosis, and is important to cancer immunity.
It also hinders the formation of homocysteine,a toxin known to affect heart musele and influences cholesterol to deposit in heart musele.Vitamin B6 is given to patients who overdose on Isoniazid (a drug used to treat Tuberculosis) and to treat nervous system disorders and anemin associated with use of this drug.
Vitamin B6 plays a major role in making proteins,hormones,and neurotransmitters(chemicals that carry eignale between nerve cells).There's good evidence that adequate intake of vitamin B6 can help prevent heart disease and reduce the nausea of morning sickness.Even the effects of premenstrual syndrome(PMS) can be reduced because pyridoxine acts as a mild diuretic to reduce swelling.
The vitamin B6 antagonist deoxypyridoxine produces seborrheic dermatosis,glossitis,cheilosis,peripheral neuropathy,andlymphopenia.Vitamin B6 deficiency can cause convulsions in infants and anemia in adults(usually normocytic but occasionally microcytic).The symptoms of vitamin B6 deficiency include depression,confusion,chapped lips,mouth sores,and acne,inflammation of the mouth and gums,and irritability.Since this vtamin is water-soluble and not stored in the body,it is important an adequate amount is either consurned through food or supplements.
(1) Treatment of congenital hyofunction of metabolism;
(2) Prevent and treat vitamin B6 deficiency;
(3) Supplement to patients who need to consume more vitamin B6;
(1) One of the indispensable ingredients of mixed feed, promotes growth and development of immature animals;
(2) Additive of food and beverage, reinforces nutrition;
(3) Additive of cosmetics, promotes growth of hair and protects the skin;
(4) Culture medium of plants, promotes growth of plants;
(5) For treatment of surfaces of polycaprolactam products, enhances the thermal stability.